Monday 31 October 2011

5th WINOL

It was dull and unmemorable. That's the main criticism to take away from the debrief - most of which was actually on Wednesday than today. We need to write to our pictures, be catchier with our language; clichés aren't bad, they're a technique to make use of. Don't try to be over-clever with news reporting or you'll miss the target. Not that they're saying we can't be creative at all (I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong), but you have to walk before you can run (there's a cliché for you), and at the moment we're barely making two steps before tumbling over.

I was in charge of the NIBs this week, as for reasons out of my control I couldn't organise to have a package. The NIBs, all together:


Purple Flag, Streetlights and Strikes. PF and Strikes were the stronger of the two, so I put them at the start and end and the visually awful Streetlights in the middle. Looking back I should have put Strikes in first, as Julie's piece had the best pictures. My pieces were quite shoddy in comparison. I did try to write to my pictures this day, but I found that I didn't have nearly enough images. This led me to realising that I needed a picture for the words 'Purple Flag' - I ripped the logo off their website quickly, it could definitely have been done better. It also made me realise just how little footage I actually had for Streetlights. The script I ended up writing, which I don't have but will pull from the bulletin later, included words and phrases that lent themselves to pictures I didn't have, such as general shots of town centre. I only had streetlamps.

What I found was that to write to my pictures, I need to have filmed to my words. It's circular, but it comes down to being better prepared, something I hope to be this week: I've already written a rough script for the Occupy Bournemouth package I'll be filming tomorrow. Hopefully it will feed into what I film, which will feed into what I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment