Tuesday 22 March 2011

Radio Story: Bahrain No Template For Change In Gulf

I am severely late getting this out, but I suppose late is better than never. Below is the audio, and following it the script.





Uprising is the theme that grips the Middle East today. In the oil-rich Persian Gulf, Bahrain is the only country to face a large local revolt.

I ask Simon Wilson, former deputy British ambassador in Bahrain, whether he thinks the spirit of revolution will spread across to other Gulf Cooperation Council states.

Simon Wilson audio cut


In words: "I think it's unlikely that..."


Out words: "...coming into Saudi Arabia any time soon."


--


As a side note, one thing I'm not particularly happy about is reading out 'Gulf Cooperation Council'. It's a long-winded phrase and almost never called that - 'GCC' will do in all cases - but George pointed out that many listeners are somewhat unlikely to know what 'GCC', mentioned in the interview, is likely to stand for. I tried to explain it in the least obtrusive way possible, but I'm not sure I've done a very good job of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment