Friday 11 February 2011

Volunteering for WINOL

It's the first WINOL bulletin of 2011 and I was called on by Charlotte Clarke to come help out. It was pretty interesting to catch a glimpse of what we'll be doing next year. I came in around 2 PM and was put to work straight away running back and forth between TAB9 and the TV studio delivering messages on Charlotte's behalf. Closer to 3 PM when the bulletin was meant to go live I was put to the task of running the VTs when given the cues, which was surprisingly stressful. As the bulletin's live, there's little room for error, and the order they were run in was subject to last second changes.

There was a familiar feeling of tension in the studio. It was only a year ago that I and three others wrote, directed and performed our own play, and though I could do little but sit and watch the problems arise one after the other, I felt oddly at home watching the crew wrestle bad lighting, malfunctioning headsets, glitchy audio and necessary, demotivating delays. Despite all these troubles, however, the bulletin was finally broadcast - 15 minutes late - and with little issues during it, save for one very large one during the sports segment (which has since been edited out, I think).

All in all, it was an exciting afternoon. I'll probably be back to volunteer for more in the coming weeks; it's interesting to see what we'll be doing next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment