Thursday 14 October 2010

WINOL Bulletin

We watched the latest bulletin in our introduction to Journalism Now and asked to critique what we saw. So...

  • I found the bar that rolls in with the interviewee's name and details to disappear too fast. I drifted away for one moment and completely missed the information - it was barely there for two seconds.
  • The audio quality really deteriorated at the end of the piece on the international student ID problems at the part with the computer on the NUS site.
  • The camera/audio cuts off one interviewed student ("I wouldn't know where to get the money from, I really wouldn't") mid-speech.
  • This might sound very nit-picky but when the quote by Steve Brine came on-screen with the reporter reading it over. I can read the text in my head faster than she can read it out loud, and once I'd finished reading my attention wavered while I waited for the reporter to complete it. Perhaps it would've been better if you'd shown half the quote at a time, fading out the first half and bring in the second as the reporter reads it. It could keep our visual attention.
  • I felt like the piece about the Queen was slightly out of place. I think it could been made more interesting had there been more information. Is there anything special or unique about the ship, besides being named after the Queen?
  • The sports reporters didn't sound very enthusiastic about the matches they covered.
  • It's 'Eastleigh' and 'Christchurch'.
  • For some reason, and I don't know nearly enough about cameras and editing to be able to explain why, I found the cuts during the presenters' segments to be extremely jarring.
That's not to say I didn't find anything good or enjoy watching the bulletin - I thought the presenters had great voices and the news was relevant to me (except perhaps the one about the Queen) - but a critique's all about fixing what's wrong, so there you go.

2 comments:

  1. Very good, detailed analysis of the bulletin. Never make apologies for obsessing about the detail - the devil is in the detail - and it is a very good journalistic trait.

    Try to blog after each Winol bulletin - it's incredibly useful for the students working on the bulletin to hear your views. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. I have just seen your screen test on Bertrand Russell - absolutely outstanding. I am editing that now and should have it up on the featrues part of the WINOL site soon.

    ReplyDelete